Saturday 31 May 2008

The Real Inflation Rate

On 19 May I blogged that I my wife had saved her Tesco shopping receipts for a couple of months so that we could plot the real inflation rate. Well this has taken longer than I expected because, after I had inputted six weeks items onto a spreadsheet I pressed the wrong button and buggered it up! Still I have now completed the task and as expectedthe really savage rises are all in one area.

Politicians, particularly those that prefer the nanny state approach to leadership have recently been waxing lyrical about the benefits to be obtained from healthy eating. Children must be educated away from processed food and fast food outlets and introduced to 'greens'. There is only one problem about the benefits of eating vegetables and that is they cost so much. Here are the findings of my research into this.

Broccolli up 45%, Cabbage up 53%, Cauliflower up 76%, Leeks up 74%, Peppers up 15%and White Potatoes up 25%. In the last week or so Butter, Milk and Cheese are also beginning to rise but I am waiting on that one because I think there may be more to come.

So now we know under a NoLab government the less well off will not be able to eat healthily no matter how they may wish to. These rises have come in just 8 weeks so when will it plateau out. I intend to keep up with this study because I think that it is important to see just what is happening in this country particularly when we are continually being fed the line that Britain has a single figure inflation rate. Yeah and Gordon Brown is also the best Prime Minister to be never elected... and the worst!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Broccolli up 45%, Cabbage up 53%, Cauliflower up 76%, Leeks up 74%, Peppers up 15%and White Potatoes up 25%."

These products are seasonal.

Not the best way to calculate inflation.

Loughborough has a great market.